Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Turning Down the Celsius, Turning Up the Snuggle

Winter has arrived! It's COLD!

We wrapped ourselves up in as many layers as we could yesterday and headed out to Mbonisweni, hoping the wintry rain wouldn't deter the children from coming for a nice, warm meal. Weather has a much stronger impact on us here than in the States. We don't have the ability to control climates when we're inside, so once you get cold - you're cold! Typically, on rainy days, people try to stay warm and dry inside or huddled around their cooking fires.

To my delight, however, yesterday was a different story!
The children were not weighed down by their layers, but were bounding with energy and extra, extra snuggly. They piled high on top of each other and were filled with a surprising and beautiful joy.

At one point, I stuck out my hand for a child to hold and, before I could think twice, realized I had one child holding each finger, giggling together about the prize they had won. 

You have to see the most perfect, snuggly day...

I started the day by visiting my family's house. Walked in to my own personal heaven: All three babies snuggly and silly on their winter playground - the bed! I jumped right in.

Tstephiso and Fiona rolling around and wrestling while Fiona practiced saying, "Cheeeese" . So perfect.

First kids at the feeding! They came with every warm article of clothing they had and stacked themselves on top of each other.

Sheryl and Blessing. Every kid was SO SNUGGLY!


As groups of children poured in, they were already singing and playing before they entered the gates of the church yard. Even the children responsible for caring for children.

My little friend Jessica modeling her winter wear as she sneaks over for girl talk.

How many kids can you fit on one church bench? (just the right amount... and there's always room for one more)

Disclaimer: I wasn't the only one who cashed in on snuggly kids and used winter for my own personal advantage.  At one point, I found Stan buried under a mountain of children screaming, "These kids are soooo waaarrrmmmm!!" We don't have central heating people. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

Our visiting friend, Katja took joined the snuggle party too! 

My Tstephiso

I found the Shaw girls huddled in a corner, piled high with children and broken-hearted for the least of these. 

Who needs hands in winter?

It seems like there were more babies taking care of babies than ever before this week.

Modeling winter-wear for the 2011 season. That's Fiona on the far left and Sheryl on the far right. 

I didn't know what to do when I handed this tiny girl two plates and watched her try to feed herself and the baby in her care. 

Because of the cold and rainy weather, we had to feed everyone INSIDE the church. What a beautiful chaos! We lined the little ones up on stage to serve first. 

Playing the pass-the-baby game.

My friend Tersia, the most joyful servant, makes everything look like fun!

And we're back outside for kid-piling and cuddling. Praise the Lord. 

Gloved hand and bare feet. 

Who needs ToysRUs when you can use these dead tree branches? Endless giggles from my most favorite little people. 

And at the end of the afternoon, when we finally told them they HAD to go home, I found them singing, dancing and playing in the road with George - the only family-oriented older man I've encountered in South Africa. The children are drawn to his joy and to that grandpa-love he lavishes freely on them. 
Thank you, Jesus, for joy in every weather.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it!!! So sad I missed this for a dentist appointment. :(

    ReplyDelete