Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Roooosssaaa, He's Hoooome!!!

For weeks I’ve been scaling the walls and the emotional valleys and peaks of loving Lifa from afar.

Even after we got the date set on when he’d come home again, I felt out of control because suddenly I could feel how long it’d been since I’d kissed those perfect little lips and held those just-the-right-sized hands. What a crazy and overpowering love I have for this kid. How does God do it with ALL His children?

How does He love so deeply? And so completely? Although I’ve been trying to keep my hands busy with work and my heart distracted from feeling the pain of distance, God’s sovereign and peaceful hand has been on, in and encompassing us since before we even knew there was a beginning of a story.

The blog title might have given away the drum roll, grand entrance shebang I was going for, but…. LIFA’S HERE! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sunday, 7 weeks after dropping Lifa off with his father, Pastor Sthembiso, my brother Lennon, my visiting cousin Laura Chaffin and I filled the little blue Mazda and headed to another one of Lifa's extended family functions to pick him up for a 5 week visit.

I get so nervous every time.

But we’ve been at every family function Lifa’s ever been too since he was an infant. His father recently reconnected with his family in a beautiful ongoing story of reconciliation that I got to be a part of – so this weekend we were welcomed in as family. Not a big hoorah over the white people (ok, there was a small one), not a formal sit-down… we were squished into the middle of loud music, piles of pap and chicken and relatives delighted in us delighting in Lifa.


This was all I was aware of: one perfect little boy who immediately crawled into my lap and went to sleep.

I passed out family photo albums from our last family gathering and my last time with Lifa. It was so beautiful to watch the family pour over memories made together, laughing and treasuring their new albums. Photo albums are highly valued in this culture and photos are difficult to come by. I felt family roots thickening through a simple exchange of such an intimate gift.

A happy grandmother

Lifa's father showing off his new photo album

After about an hour of picture time and a sleeping lap baby, it was time to make our exit paparazzi style!

ready to bring this boy home!
Laura was a happy woman - she got to ride home in style! (And yes, laws are different in S Africa. But Lifa now has his own booster seat!)
Lifa’s been through so much change and transition in his 3 ½ years. Watching him attach to me completely as mama has been an incredible and beautiful journey. I didn’t know what I was signing up for a year and a half ago… and I still don’t really… but I wouldn’t and I couldn’t do it any other way.

It’s crazy to think that last year he was an invisible kid – no one noticed him and he hardly had family. And today he has an abundance of love, family and people willing to change for this one little life.

Keri Dodge was the perfect welcome committee as we made our first round through base and went to visit his friend Isabelle.
Lifa's favorite seat in every meeting is in Mimi's lap
Watching him remember, feel things out and fall back into step with being back home at the Ten Thousand Homes base and in our house has been so fun! He just arrived on Sunday, so he’s not speaking much around anybody except me yet. With every day and every encounter, we see him wake up and warm up a little more. Love is rolling over him and healing the places that have been dried out.


I’m cherishing every moment. He loves being here, and I’m SO happy to see him happy! He wakes up with a HUGE smile once he realizes where he is and then immediately is ready for some shakin’ it to worship music. (Still working on teaching him how NOT to dance like a white boy.)

This is a perfect hidden-camera moment where he realizes he's on video, tries to play it cool and seem like he's just testing out the instrument, and then gives in to the shaking once again. My kid! Well done on the video, Laura! 

Pray for us as we adjust!  Beyond daily life being rearranged, pray for Lifa to feel safe and peace. He’s still nervous I might leave and keeps his eyes on me. I love the extra snuggles, but am praying for him to feel a security in belonging in the Family of God first and then with me second.

Today we had an incredible day of sight-seeing and family fun with Laura! We got to watch him come alive a little more and show off that perfect personality of his.

We found out today he's quite the rock climbing, adventurous boy! Rosa would've been so proud! Testing out the COLD water on top of a waterfall.
Oh hey... hand on forehead.

You gotta include a kissy picture

Something I like to call, "Setting a good example."
Everyone sleepy after a long day and me ridiculously happy on a Lifa's-home high. Still going strong! 
I feel an inescapable joy today. I feel like I can laugh and celebrate all the way through me now. I feel flooded with thankfulness.

Celebrate family with Lifa and I by celebrating your family today!
Celebrate God’s faithfulness and a love that binds beyond distances!
Shoot… have a white boy dance party for Jesus!

And please, pray with us and for us. Pray for Lifa to encounter Home and Belonging in God’s Kingdom in supernatural, indescribable ways while he’s here. Pray for incredible favor over him and us. Pray that Lifa and I experience the completeness of family.

Thank you for loving us and celebrating with us! 

2 comments:

  1. he is perfect. no doubt about it. i am SO glad he is home again... just wishing i could be there to play with him. i will be praying for the both of you, that the transition from one home to another is easy, and that he learns just how much he is loved and worth.

    i love the video of him dancing, i couldn't stop giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always crying when I read and see these absolutely perfect pictures. I know it is joy for you and Lifa but I think I am a little sad that I can't put my arms around that precious boy. I actually think he might be able to teach you some dance moves missy. I send all my love to you and Lifa! Mom Waters

    ReplyDelete