Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spidey-style

Welcome to the superhero edition of "Known". 
I'm thinking about Spiderman today.

Spidey-sense.... He senses need, intuitively knows how to respond, and, when it's time to overcome evil, he handles business superhero style. 

With an outstretched arm, he has the power in two fingers to extend a web of protection and power - a sticky fortress to bind, to connect, to climb, and to just get it done. 

Lifa doesn't even know who Spiderman is, but he knows his name. He was given a Spiderman shirt and proudly drives through base on his "moto" with it on talking about him. 
(Clarification: Lifa is still at his dad's house. These are pictures and stories from the last 5 weeks he was here with me.)

My own little super-hero... Please disregard the hairbrush.
Spiderman: He's a super-guy. Super-powers, spidey sense, and what-not. Created at the hand of a Marvel man in response to every human being's (especially little boys') desire for something bigger, better, conquering, overcoming... for the good guy to prevail in larger-than-life kind of ways. Throw in a little romance and make him appeal to the normal, even nerdy-ish everybodies, and he becomes a timeless favorite that everyone relates to.

I started thinking about Spiderman because of the webs I'm so aware of today.

A web of family has been cast by the outstretched arm of my super-God. The uncreated one who invited us in to His marvelous creation to be a part of something bigger, better, conquering, overcoming and larger-than-life... eternal life. A divine romance. And it's personal - it's for you. And for me. And for the whole Family to come together. 

I'm blown away today. 
I've slipped away from my normal environment after spending the last 7 months with non-stop visitors at Ten Thousand Homes, welcoming the nations and the most incredible people in as family to participate in the most honoring and vulnerable work with us.

Drew from New Hope Christian Church in Wiley, TX
Photo by Carly B
And after saying goodbye to my church home in League City, Texas, who spent the last two weeks loving on and worshiping in my church home in Africa. They left committing to stay family, to keep coming, and telling me I'm Home with them.

Me and Mary in the kitchen
And after being welcomed in as a mother and a voice for family in my local SiSwati-speaking church in Mbonisweni, Evangelical Reform Church. After speaking on mothers as the bearers of the intimacy of Christ, my GoGo gave me a mama-dress to wear to church. It's traditional, beautiful, and I feel like a walking African-princess-party when I wear it. The congregation was delighted as they welcomed me as one of them. (Pictures coming soon!)

And after being a part of every family reunion on his father's side that Lifa has ever attended... and being welcomed in as family, as Lifa's mama, instead of as the only white girl and English-speaker. Heads don't turn anymore. We're just part of them.


And after learning family through the most unique community I've ever lived in. Living on base at Ten Thousand Homes this year went from feeling like obligation to feeling like home and like family. They are the people I am delighted to do my everyday with and am almost embarrassed by the indelible ways they love me. 

And after the first of many (I hope!) family members came around the world to know me here, to meet Lifa and to make the web of family stronger, thicker and so much more sticky. 

Me, Lifa and my cousin Laura
And after watching one little boy really love and be loved by my family and friends all over the world, and make a lasting impact in the heart of everyone he encounters.

Lifa and Anda
I've never been more convinced that my God is a super-God. 

He is powerfully and lovingly casting the most unique, unfathomable, super-sticky web, weaving the nations together and calling them Family. Allowing these created hands and feet to join in the super-story and be family together. 

I'm reeling in the sovereignty and the beauty of the Family of God. And the undeserved honor of getting to be part of the sticky.

I'm going to spend the next 3 weeks enjoying the stick. 
I'm going to celebrate the God of the outstretched arms and who doesn't need spidey-sense because He's already overcome the world. 
I'm going to live fully and love deeply with the family around me and the places and people He's stuck to me today. 
I'm going to worship with quality time, laughter and love.

And then I'll come back and blog about it. :) 

You're part of the web, and He's weaving you into His story of family. 
Thanks for sticking with me and Lifa. 
We love doing the super-story with you.

I'll miss you for 3 weeks, but am taking some time away from the computer screen. I'll see you in 3 weeks! 

This is just to hold you over....
One of Lifa's many super-powers: the body roll




love, love, love....



1 comment:

  1. Don't ever tell me you are not a influence missy!!
    Love Love Love Ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete