Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A New Kind of Birthday Suit


I’m back everybody! Back from a little internet hiatus, minus one blog I just couldn’t resist.

I missed you.

I have to tell you that, even more than I was 3 weeks ago, I’m overwhelmingly grateful for your reading, your praying and your knowing me as we build hope and home in South Africa together. 
And now, in true form of friends and family who really know each other, let’s just pick up where we left off, shall we?  

A few weeks ago I celebrated my 27th birthday in the crazy-colliding way God has taught me how to party this year. He threw me a “He’s-Got-the-Whole-World-in-His-Hands” kind of family party with my Ten Thousand Homes family, my South African family and with my American church family, Bay Area Community Church!  He even dressed me for the party.

A week before my birthday,  I was visiting my favorite house in Africa: GoGo’s house. The twins were washing my car, and I was sitting on crates with a lap full of babies. All of a sudden, I noticed excited whispering, giggles and wild gesturing between GoGo and my sisters. I see Zodwa and Prudence run into the house shrieking and look at GoGo, who speaks no English, for a clue. She grinned and gestured for me to sneak up on them to see what was going on. It was my birthday surprise! They couldn’t wait any more – they had to give it to me!

And it was more meaningful and lovely than anything I could have ever imagined or given. It was a church dress! Not just  your average church dress… it was a beautiful, hand-made dress that is fitting for a mother to wear.

This birthday wasn’t just about having a fun party… but trust me, it was fun:

There was dancing…

There was bubble-blowing…

There was kissing…


There was art!
The whole family gathered around to help decorate a "Happy Birthday NaNa" banner for my NaNa in America!


But this year, as I turned one year older, I grew up in a lot more ways than I could have anticipated.

Last year on my 26th birthday, I blew out candles at GoGo’s house with very different wishes.
On my 26th birthday, I was a regular visitor at GoGo’s and everybody knew Lifa was my favorite kid. I was new on staff at Ten Thousand Homes and still living out of suitcases without a place to call my own, and not sure I wanted to call any place in this hemisphere “my own”.

On my 27th birthday, I welcomed GoGo and our family into my home where they admired Lifa’s new big-boy bed and poured over our family photo albums. 


Contrary to the culture that doesn’t celebrate birthdays, I was given a gift that require immeasurable sacrifice and love and that speaks louder than words. A gift that says: “You belong here. You are welcomed into our lives and our culture as a mother. We see you and we love you.”

This year on my 27th birthday, I was dressed like the belle of the ball and, instead of just making wishes over birthday candles (that wish is a 3 ½ year-old piece of home with his little hand in mine), I am making “trusts”.

I am committing myself and my 27th year to trusting My Maker – the Ultimate Birthday Celebrator. He sings “Happy Birthday” to the tune of creation’s song while He claps, cheers and spurs us on toward His highest good, and we inch closer and closer to the best birthday ever when we get to sing the songs of new creation!

So…
This year...
I trust You with my hopes and dreams.
I trust You with my loneliness.
I trust You to mend the tears of time zones and culture gaps that  have over-stretched and overwhelmed relationships.
I trust You to meet the needs that I can’t even identify.
I trust You to align my heart with Yours, and give me a gentle, grace-based curve as I learn to bend in opposite directions than the ways of the world.
I trust You not to leave the place You called me to stay.
I trust You to pave the way and break through every barrier standing in the way of family.
I trust You to swing your mighty hand of justice through South Africa and wipe away every unshed tear from every eye and to rest on the heads of Your children with a touch that says, “I know you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment