Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012: The Year of Thanksgiving


We’re 11 days into 2012, and I’m just now getting around to making a new year’s resolution.

You might think that waiting a week and a half into the new year takes away from the sparkly, hope-filled excitement of making that behavioral 180° at the stroke of midnight, to the sights and sounds of cheers, fireworks, and carriages turning into pumpkins.  But I’m just now getting around to this traditionally cliché and spiritually symbolic embrace of the opportunity for a new beginning because I’ve been so busy swimming, laughing, loving and rejoicing with all my heart and all 5 senses in the One who’s calling me closer to Him and to walk into these promises for 2012. Good enough reason, huh?  

For my first 26 Christmases and New Years, I was surrounded by the same people, the same kinds of food, and the same language. Gifts were exchanged with warm hugs in cold weather. Resolutions were made after a night of laughter, game-playing, and while standing around a bonfire of Christmas trees.

On my 27th Christmas, I gave summer clothes to SiSwati-speaking children, went to a bilingual Christmas play, ate watermelon, and got sun-kissed while we barbequed leg of lamb. And on my 27th New Year, I danced under the stars and fireworks with my toes in the Indian Ocean to the sounds of God’s unending, majestic waves and my uncontrollably thankful laughter.

I finished 2011 and started 2012 standing on the edge of the immeasurable.

I’ve never been so aware of My Creator and the ways His Love washes over me without stopping.

Thank you Jesus for an opportunity to visit the hem of the most beautiful continent. To see Your glory in the most undeniable and life-giving ways. And for the friend who came with me, who flew around the world with a suitcase full of Christmas love from family and friends, and who counted it worth it.

I played, I laughed, I danced, I sang, I walked, I prayed, I cart-wheeled… I rejoiced.
Photos by Carly B
 My soul and my spirit were fed.

It was my first no-work, no-business, no-culture-shock, non-missionary holiday in over two-years.

I was struck by the strength of the current alluring me into the crashing and unending waves of the beautifully blue Indian Ocean.

And that’s when God reminded me…

He doesn’t stop.
His grace keeps crashing over me.
His love keeps pulling me in.
He keeps making me new.
He keeps filling me with joy.
He doesn’t stop.

I don’t ever want to lose that feeling of dancing, playing, laughing and loving in the crashing waves of God’s love.
And I don’t want to stay toe-deep either.

One time a lady reached for the hem of Jesus’ garment because even the edge of it had enough power to heal a 12-year ailment. (Luke 8)

And now Jesus is in me. And you.
Full-on, crashing waves, un-resting current, couldn’t-grasp-the-depths-if-you-tried Jesus.

I started 2012 dancing on the hem-line that separated Africa from the ocean. I intend on going deeper and deeper into His power and grace every day of this year.

And that’s where we come back to my new year’s resolution.

How to get deeper. How to usher in more of His presence. How to be carried away by His grace.

Thanksgiving.

Jesus always gave thanks before performing a miracle during his life on earth.
Giving thanks makes more room for Him, compels us to worship, and increases our faith by reminding us of how much He’s already provided.

In 2012, I will begin every day giving thanks. Instead of “Please and Thank you’s”, I will be a rejoicing, peace-seeking, “Thank you and please’s” kind of woman. His waves, His love, His grace, His giving never stops. Why wouldn’t I start with thank you?

From Philippians 4:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  

In 2012, I will not complain. Sometimes, people from the States look at my life and only see how much I’ve sacrificed and the conditions I live in. And sometimes I do that too. But, today, and this year, I’m floored by His provision and feel overwhelmingly blessed. I don’t feel like I’ve given up anything. This doesn’t feel like a sacrifice. I feel like the richest woman on the planet with the most joy-giving life I could have never imagined.

From Philippians 2:
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like the stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life…

God is dreaming bigger and better things in me in 2012. I have no idea what or how He’ll make these things happen. So, I say, “Thank you Spirit for dreaming through me.”

God is promising to give us a home at Ten Thousand Homes. And to keep the property we live on, we need $30,000 in less than 30 days. And so we say, “Thank you for letting us be a part of fulfilling Your gospel message, for knowing Your favorite children, and for giving us an opportunity to rely completely on You and Your Body for something we cannot provide on our own.” (Click here for more information)

Thank you for knowing me, loving me, and doing 2012 with me. 

1 comment:

  1. awesome Kacy! you should read "one thousand gifts." you'd get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete