Friday, May 14, 2010

He's Got the Whole World (cup) In His Hands

Greetings from Jo'burg!

We're here right spank in the middle of the city staying at a YWAM base and a ministry called The Joseph Project. I'm no city girl, but I am absolutely thrilled to be in the inner-city for the next few weeks and felt my heart both swelling and breaking as we went on a prayer walk through the city this morning.

We are in walking distance to some of the World Cup arenas and a short drive to many others. In less than a month the nations will pour in and this city will fill up. We walked around the stadium and prayed this morning and now I'm inviting you to join me in prayer.

One of the issues I feel most compelled to share with you is on human trafficking. The government has decided to shut down schools for 5 weeks of the World Cup. So, while parents are still at work, their children will be walking around... laughing, playing and innocent targets for trafficking predators. The leader on base told us that there are already secret brothels being set up and tickets... TICKETS... being sold promising visitors a couple of games and a few children to keep them entertained in Jo'burg.

The school near the Joseph Project has allowed them to come in and train the 1700 children in what human trafficking is to raise awareness and has opened up the school to the ministry to use during the 5 weeks if they want to run a day program to keep the children safe. The ministry would love to and 600 children have expressed interest, but there are no workers! The ministry only has a staff of 15! Please pray that YWAM outreaches or other workers for His harvest will flood South Africa as the nations pour in.

This could be a chance for the light and love of Christ to flow through a nation that was once previously ripped about my prejudice and hatred, but the workers have to come! 

I am excited to learn more about Jo'burg, pray with you and tell you more as we go. Tomorrow we will continue praying over the city, tour a Jo'burg museum and prepare for outreach opportunities our team will participate in during the week. Tonight we're heading to a local church to speak on the Holy Spirit and are hoping to really connect with the church as we will be there several times this next couple of weeks. Our time here is short, so please pray that we are able to forge deep and meaningful relationships. 

I've been so grateful for this transitional week between Zambia and Jo'burg... I think I've been in some stage of culture shock since January, but what better place to rely on Jesus? He's shown me in this past week especially, that, for a girl whose felt homeless for the past 5 years, He's given me more of an experience of Home- belonging, being loved and known - than many people ever know. I am so thankful and feel like understanding that Truth... that Home is in me as the Holy Spirit dwells in me... has been monumental in adjusting to and learning to love each new place and all the new people we've encountered.

Thank you for being a part of my Home - for knowing me as I go on this crazy journey with God. Your following along, praying with me and for me, and just sharing in the stories with me means so much. I am so thankful for you in my life.

Hope to write more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment