Saturday, July 17, 2010

Learning The Hard Way

I"m painfully uncomfortable asking for help. It's a weakness God's working on in my by putting me in situations where I have no other choice.

He's showing me that if we live as though we don't need anyone else, we're living by the world's standards. And who really wants to exist in a place where we don't need each other? That's a world without relationships. That's a world without God.

So, I'm learning.

I cannot drive here and have no transport on my own - so I have to ask for help.
I cannot speak the local language in communities - so I have to ask for help.
And I cannot live out the work I've been called to do here independently - so I have to ask for help.

I was good at supporting myself, living by myself and taking care of myself in America. But there was a loneliness in it that I couldn't shake.

Needless to say, things have changed! Now I have no means of supporting myself, live in community and depend on others to help me get around. (I'm pretty sure my mom is cringing right now as she reads - Hi Rosa!)

Gut-check.
Culture-check.
Truth-check.

God's shaking me up, pruning off the branches that aren't bearing fruit (John 15) and giving me perspective about what the body of Christ really looks like. My feet have landed here in South Africa. But He has assured me that He will send hearts and hands to keep me from falling. He's reminding me that people all over the world care about the orphan crisis, but were made to care in differnet ways than me. He's teaching me that needing others is inviting them into watching Him work first-hand and into being a part of His Kingdom. Missionaries live all over the world and have all kinds of differnet jobs and realities.

I need your help. Let us not live in a culture of independence, but in a Kingdom culture, recognizing we need one another and we need God's grace.

I'm officially starting support-raising, seeking monthly and one-time donations so sustain me as I live in White River, Mpumalanga, South Africa and work with Ten Thousand Homes. I've reorganized my blog to be information-friendly regarding support-raising and sent out more information via email. I will be traveling to the States for Christmas holidays and would love to speak with churches, small groups and have coffee dates with anyone interested in what I'm doing here.

Please help spread the word.
Thank you to those who have encouraged me in my insecurities and fears. Please keep praying with me that I embrace this Kingdom culture rather than running back toward independence. Also, please pray for provision and that God will move in the hearts of His children to support me and know me through this process.

If you'd like more info, please feel free to email me at kacychaffin@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment