Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Stories

I love stories.

I love this time of year when we get to tell, hear and share the story of a baby who came into the world and changed everything.

I love being here, in Texas, as so many parts and people in my stories are coming together and showing me over and over again how faithful God is in His big story.

God sent me to Africa to be a voice for families. And here in Texas, I'm reminded with countless hugs, kisses, dance parties, and those priceless "I know you" moments that the reason He chose me for that is because I've been taught family so well. He taught me through my people.


LONG awaited playtime with Ella and Mia!
And an equally long-awaited kiss from my Mona.


Cathy Brown on the drums, everyone.
You have become a part of my story - one that means so much to me and one that I feel so deeply with every interaction. Thank you for choosing to expand the Family of God. Thank you for knowing the details of my part of the story that happens in South Africa.


My stories coming together. Rich and Lynn from Africa with me, Galveston and my church. 


One of the most precious and treasured parts of my story is turning three this month. His name is Lifa. Most of you have heard ALL about him. Over and over again. He's such a big part of my story and part of God's story for His Kingdom.



I've seen visiting missionaries from around the world hold Lifa and experience God's love or remember something Jesus once said about the least of these. (Matt 25) 


I've seen his community, Mbonisweni, respond to the way Lifa's learned how to be loved and feel secure in the consistency of our relationship. 


I've seen our church in Mbonisweni be awakened by seeing the actively flowing power and strength of families choosing to love one another despite reason or cultural differences - and wanting to be a part of something bigger than themselves because of it.

I've experienced more transformation and love than I realized from my relationship with that little boy, until I got to the States and shared our story and our moments.


And now I'm inviting you into our story in another way to pray with us.

I called the family Lifa stays with in Mbonisweni to check on him and they told me his dad had come to pick him up. He has a once-a-month drop-in dad. He works far from where Lifa stays, and will pop in for very short increments of time randomly.

Lifa's granny is sick and wanted to see him. So they picked him up. And we don't know if or when he's coming back.

In South Africa, cell phone airtime is very expensive, so it's uncommon to call and keep up with the whereabouts of a child who's with another parent. You just wait until they come back.

I've called his dad a few times, even conferenced call with the help of my brother Lennon to help translate, but we've had no luck.

My heart is hurting. It's the unknown part.

Lennon told me he thinks Lifa's father is working, and Lifa will be staying with a new girlfriend. I'm Lifa's primary attachment. And I left. Now he's with a new family in a new environment.

And December in South Africa can be a dangerous month. Children are on holiday and it's a free-for-all month. Christmas isn't a holy and revered holiday there, it's an excuse for a nonstop party, holding nothing back.


I have no idea what kind of environment Lifa is in right now. 

And so many other children in South African this month. Without school, there are more hungry mouths. And in December, more money is being spent on parties.

As we gather together around platters of holiday food, let's remember to pray for children who aren't getting their one guaranteed meal from school this month.

As we celebrate the warm and fuzzy feelings of families coming together and Christmas cheer, let's take a moment to feel for the least of these, whose families are celebrating dangerously rather than joyfully.

As we remember the Son of Man coming from His perfect Heavenly throne, born to a single mom in a barn, so that He could feel all the brokenness and bring light and redemption to it, let's trust in and cling to the hope and the light that shines like that bright star in every broken family and broken situation - like Lifa's right now. 






'Tis the season for real celebration - for the manger and the Man who felt it all so we wouldn't have to do this alone. Because I couldn't do this alone. 

Look for the blessings, the promises, the hope and the provision you're surrounded with the Christmas season and celebrate them enough for those who haven't been taught or haven't experienced the real reason for the season yet.


Happy Holidays! I love you! 
Thank you for praying with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment