Friday, January 21, 2011

Lifa Update!

I finally have news to share!

Thank you for your ceaseless prayers, for checking in on me, for loving Lifa so perfectly and for walking through this trip to the States with me. I've received love, home, encouragement and home in all shapes and sizes in the past 1 1/2 months.

In mid-December I shared a very up-close and personal prayer request with you about the three-year old nearest and dearest to my heart. For those of you who are just tuning in, if I've been within a 1/2 mile radius of you, you've probably heard me talk about Lifa.



For the full-story, check out my archives. In October, I started a six-part series to tell the story of how I learned family in my new home. I don't think I realize how much mine and Lifa's story shaped me and has taught me a deeper love than I knew I was capable of until recently.

Lifa's biological father picked him up right after I left South Africa. He virtually fell off the radar and I didn't know if he was safe or if I'd see him again.

I'm relieved to report that my friend and brother Stanley, who also works with Ten Thousand Homes in South Africa, talked to Lifa's father last week. Finally, communication after a month and a half of silence! Stan said his father would bring him home at the end of January. He even promised to keep calling and make sure we have nothing to worry about. Best brother EVER!

After a month of ceaseless prayer, more worry and sleeplessness than I care to admit, some yelling on a beach, and A LOT of story-sharing, I find myself stuttering and stumbling over "that girl" prayers.

God, do you REALLY want me to be that girl who jumps in with two feet into loving and caring for a little boy? A little boy who speaks a different language, was abandoned so early, has a mystery dad popping in and out, and who I believe You've called Your Greatness? 

Yes. 

The truth is it hurts to love him this deeply. And I won't ever stop.


As I've shared his story and the ways God is using "the least of these" to turn his entire community's head and heart toward family, God is showing me His Sovereignty and a plan that was too big for me to see in daily life in South Africa. Taking a step away has helped me see His big hand on that small hand and given me perspective. The Big Picture is far too big and too beautiful for me to see with this tunnel vision.




As Lifa's eyes have gone from dull and lifeless to bright and full of Light in the past year, the faces of Mbonisweni's eyes are opening to the Truth of the love of The Great Adopter and Perfect Father.

Thank you for praying this through with me. Keep the prayers coming as I still don't know what kind of environment Lifa is in right now or if his father will stay true to his word. And I don't know what his eyes will look like when I see him again. I'm relieved to know we've contacted his dad. And I'm honored to be a part of his story, even just the small part I've played so far.

You can see what God's love and your prayers have done in one perfect little life in comparing two photos just a few months apart. Look at those perfect eyes...

August 2010



Novermber 2010
Thank you for being a part of our story.

1 comment:

  1. So thankful you heard something, Kacy! Praying for you and Lifa. So excited to be able to come alongside you and watch how God is working mightily in both your life and those you are ministering to.

    ReplyDelete