Wednesday, May 18, 2011

he knows.

I know what I see and how much I love him - but I never know what and how Lifa is really internalizing what's going on around him.

I caught him and Stan sitting on a ledge, swinging their feet and chatting away yesterday.

Stan is on staff with Ten Thousand Homes and is an incredible role model for Lifa. He's an outlet for fun - laughing, screaming, running, playing - and a compassionate, SiSwati-speaking discipler. Those two run all over base together talking, hugging and laughing. 

I walked up to a conversation to see Lifa chatting and gesturing wildly. 

Stan explained that Lifa was sharing that I was teaching Lifa how to pray.

I almost melted. 

Since I left for the States in December and Lifa and I were apart for five months, I've prayed for a supernatural, invisble-friendish, audible, knowable, powerful Presence of Christ to wrap around that little boy. The Constant to be in the middle of inconsistency. I've known that was a prayer from God.

And now I'm getting glimpses into Him answering those prayers. 

This little boy knows Jesus. 

Lifa loves to sing to Jesus. 

He walks around base singing church songs in SiSwati as well as "Holy, holy, holy" and other choice lines from his new favorite, Revelation Song. 



At night, we play Revelation Song on repeat. 
The past few nights, he's pulled my face close to mine and, with sparkling eyes, belts out his rendition of Revelation Song straight to Jesus. 

Note: Lifa didn't speak ANY English 3 weeks ago.
Oh and.... the part that goes "glory and power be" translates as "Carly B" when he sings. :)

I pray. And then he prays.

The other night, I told him, in his own language, that Jesus loves him and he belongs in God's family. Lifa just looked at me, confidently nodded his head and said, "Yebo" (yes). He knows. 

He knows he's loved. 
Prayers answered. 
Siyabonga Jesu. 

Let's keep praying.

Pray for us this Sunday. If you're in America, pray Saturday night! (And every hour in between.)

Sunday we are spending our last day together amidst his extended family. An unexpected reunion of broken, estranged pieces coming together because of the love and prayers circulating around one little boy formally known as "the least of these". He won't know the faces and I won't understand the language. It'll be overwhelming for us both, but God's glory will be shining through as He orchestrates a story of redemption and homecoming.

Pray for the details and hearts of Lifa's family members to be open to experience the fullness of God's power and love. 

Pray for Lifa - for an increase in the Holy Spirit to wrap around him, give him a peace that surpasses understanding, and an overflow of feeling loved, valued and family.

Pray for me - I have a tidal wave of emotions lurking just below flood levels. Pray that I can lean into God's peace, power and unending mercies - as well as the gift he's given me during this time. I am so thankful to have GREAT friends visiting to wrap me up in love and experience this with me. Pray that I can really do this with the people around me - that I don't revert to survival mode as I wade into a new depth in this ocean of unknown. 

Pray for our last week together. Lifa and I have sniffles and scratchy throats. Pray for a week of health, joy, and family with no room for spiritual warfare. 

Thank you for your prayers and the ways you love us. Can't wait to share pics of yesterday at GoGod's house with you soon! Love you!

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my favorite songs and now I will have Lifa as a reminder every time I hear that song. He is a very special little boy. I can see why you love him so much. Prayers for you always!

    ReplyDelete