Friday, November 25, 2011

The Perfect Thanksgiving Prayer

Happy Thanksgiving!


On the heels of my second Thanksgiving in South Africa, I’m thinking about what’s happening in American homes right now. The relief provided by the tryptophan-induced naps is probably wearing off, and the last laughs of the night are being shared with a healthy dose of football banter and just one more slice of pie. Alarms are being set for Black Friday shopping escapades, and, if you’re anything like my family, you’ve made a map, a list and have organized the ads.

At my house, my alarm just went off to have a little time with you, Jesus and Pike’s Place coffee before the most perfect little boy wakes up and we get ready for school.  I have to confess that I’m thrilled to not be Black Friday shopping, but even more thrilled to be right where I am on this couch with Lifa sleeping soundly and the birds singing the sun up. I’m overwhelmed with thankfulness this morning.

Yesterday, as we left a feeding program to go eat Thanksgiving dinner together, Lifa said, “Thank you Jesus for eating. Thank you Jesus for play, play, play. Thank you Jesus for kids.”

A perfect Thanksgiving prayer.

We have more than those calories that don’t count on holidays and a day to come together to be thankful for. But if all our hope is in a roasted bird (or pig in my case!), or even on family all being around a table together, we’re going to get hungry again.

All of those good things are good. And I never want to stop saying thank you for them. But I never want to think it’s the pumpkin pie that fills me up. It’s the everyday and the eternal part of Thanksgiving that I want to feast on. Every good thing on earth is just a taste of the Kingdom of God – a reminder of how good He is that comes in our favorite flavors, memories and colors (because He knows all of our favorites us and He knows we need to be reminded). Even the very best baby kisses and family moments are an image of the affection we were made for, the Family we belong to and the hope worth holding onto.

I want to learn from Lifa’s Thanksgiving prayers.

He doesn’t know what Thanksgiving is. He’s never cut out construction paper replicas of the Niña, the Pinta or the Santa Maria. And he’s pretty sure Texas happens through a computer screen. But he knows it all starts with “Thank you Jesus…”

Last weekend, we sat on a swing – I did all the legwork and he just leaned back into me and giggled. It was beautiful. He was in the perfect posture for thank you’s. And I just listened and delighted –and finally couldn’t help but join in – as he started his thank you’s.

“Thank you Jesus for swings.”
“Thank you Jesus for swings high in the sky.”
“Thank you Jesus for slides.”
“Thank you Jesus for playgrounds.”
“Thank you Jesus for friends.”
“Thank you Jesus for Blessing and Tshepiso.”
“Thank you Jesus for GoGo Rosa.”
“Thank you Jesus for Texas.”
“Thank you Jesus for Mama Lifa.”
“Thank you Jesus for Baba Lifa.”
“Thank you Jesus for you love me.”
“Jesus I love you soooo much.”

The perfect prayers from the perfect place to pray.
Sitting in the lap of Love you couldn’t stop if you tried.
Fully aware you don’t have the strength or the control to make that swing go, or how fast, or how high it will take you.
Just leaning back and enjoying the ride, knowing Love won’t let you fall.
Thanksgiving and delight pouring out of you just because you’re in the right posture to receive it.

(just a little picture of the giggles and squeals!)

Thank you Jesus for showing me more of who you are through Lifa.
Thank you Jesus for doing the legwork and letting me enjoy the ride.
Thank you Jesus for a million ways a day to encounter You, know You, and be thankful for You.
Jesus, let me and every person who reads this today be stuffed full of Thanksgiving.

“Thank you Jesus for you love me.”

1 comment: