Thursday, April 26, 2012

I taught him "Please". He's teaching me "Thank you".

I've been huffing and puffing about the darkness and broken parts of the world all around me... and then becoming REALLY unpleasant when I realize I'm one of those broken pieces too.

Lifa came home for what might be a very short visit. For most of the days of the year, he lives in the sharp edges, infirmity and smoldering oppression that I kick and scream about living around. For most of his days, Lifa has no voice or height to rise above his current circumstances.
Right now I'm listening to him fight off the bad guys in his sleep.

But- For this two weeks, I hear him. 
And- Every single day of his life, MY GOD hears him.  

And- Today, I'm learning from him.

That little 4-year old voice that only speaks English when it comes to mama's house... that starts off silent, then turns to a whisper, and is now uncontrollable shrieking and laughing...
That big voice has a lot to say.

Lifa prays aloud all the time. Kids here learn lengthy, memorized prayers. I have no idea if he knows those.

I've listened to him all day today as he prays in his comings and goings.

He remembers to thank Jesus for everything... things I can't remember happened. He thanks Jesus for people who don't remember to say thank you. And makes sure everyone has a turn to say their thank-you's. He celebrates every piece of playground equipment, every puppy, every friend, every moment, and even says thank you for the things that haven't happened yet.

So today I'm going to take a big lesson from a little voice and bask in the glory of some of the beautiful moments God gave me this week. Bask in them and boast of them. And bring them to Him as a sacrifice of thanksgiving. (Psalm 50:23)

Thank you Jesus....

for Charity's first bubble bath.


for a hug and a hat.

for Hope and Home in progress.

for a mohawked, striped reminder of Your extravagant creativity.


 for a new cupcake pan.


 for Nandi's first birthday party... and a gazillion dazzling sprinkles from Texas.


 for role models... no matter who's influencing whom most.

for a fish pedicure and a friend to share moments with.


for this face.

for two boys and a blue balloon.

for three perfect children giggling through dinner together.

for that split second of surprise and delight when you see a monkey running right in front of you.

 for freshly-cleaned and painted 11-year old toenails.


 for a brother who does the dishes for you at the end of a long day.

"Rejecting joy to stand in solidarity with the suffering doesn't rescue the suffering. The converse does."
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp






4 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've seen in a long time. Thank you, Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the mouths of babes...The happiness exhibited on the faces of these children is amazing! I continue to pray for you and Lifa and the rest of the children and families you encounter! Thankyou for bringing Jesus to a lost world! JoAnn Street

    ReplyDelete