Thursday, October 4, 2012

One Thing. And Everything.

I'm surrounded right now by thousands and thousands of people singing....

"Your love never fails, 
Never gives up,
Never runs out on me...
One thing remains."

Thousands of people.

They are every color, age, shape and size.
There are mohawks, faux-hawks, bald spots, and everything in between.
There are Converse, Chacos, Crocs, boat shoes, dress shoes, shoes that sparkle, and shoes that buy shoes for other people who don't have them.
There's a guy a few levels below me playing keyboard along with the band on his iPad.
There's a lady in front of me with just one nail painted black.

There are thousands.

I'm in an arena packed to overflow.
The lights, the talent, the effects, the entertainment, the programming, the hospitality, the details, the everything are more advanced and exquisite than, what I would imagine, the rest of the world has to offer.

The raw talent, the sheer goodness, the phenomenal... PHENOMENAL capacity here is unbelievable. Not Christianese, not cheesy entertainment, not fluffy songs... What I'm experiencing here is art that was graced by God's hand, passion that you can taste, and His people living to the fulness of their original design.

The voices sing along. Thousands of voices.

These aren't normal people's voices. These aren't normal songs.
This is an arena full of Christian leaders at the most innovative Christian leadership conference on the planet.

It's so loud.
We sing so loud.

I'm bathed in swirling spotlights, and I sing.
I can't hear my voice, but I hear us all.
The most heavily burdened soul could crowd-surf here without ever falling because there are so many arms. Such a strong body can carry anything. Any body.

The words, "Holy, holy, holy" pulse through me with the intensity of the bass and of the Truth.

I'm blown away by the extravagance and by the immeasurable amount of influence in this one room- 13,000 orange badges dangling and 26,000 hands waving, pounding, pumping and praising - singing in unison to the immeasurable God.

We sing, "One thing remains," in extravagance.
Senses spark and thousands of sights and sounds collide.

"One thing remains."

We'll stroll outside and enjoy free books, peruse tools to advance spiritual growth in churches, go outside to hear the band, play the games, lounge in the hammocks, and then talk about our favorite parts over lunch.

I'm blown away by this reality I've never encountered.
This measure of excellence, talent, extravagance, and joy.
Singing for the One Thing.

But all huddled up with these people - these spiritual heavy-hitters, these best of the best - I can't help but think, "HOW?"

How can there be this many types of people who know Him - and millions of other people who need to be known?

How can there be this many influencers and this measure of culturally relevant tools - and people not be reached?

How can we have access to this - and people not know they have access to eternity?

How can we be filled with power and Living Water here this week - when I'm getting on a plane next week to land in a place where there's not enough food or water?

I may have never seen this advanced world of leadership, and I have nothing to download the conference app onto... But I'm an influencer just like these people.

Everyone with the power of the Holy Spirit and the authority of Jesus Christ is an influencer... a heavy-hitter.

How can we live with power and unlimited eternal access - and not let them know?

How can we stand, sing, be filled and even pour...
How can we know that One Thing Remains - and be content to stand in the middle of everything when there's still somebody with nothing? Whether it's no home, no water or no hope?

If One Thing Remains... How can we not use everything He's given us to reach every one?

All for One.
One for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment