Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A conversation with Corinthians


If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophesy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
I don’t want to go through the motions… not of a fast, not as a leading character in an exciting story, and not from what visitors have called “the front lines” in Africa’s orphan crisis… 
Not without the REAL Truth. Not without love.
And not just any love. REAL love. Pure love. Your love.
 Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
It is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
I’m not capable of this kind of love by my own strength.
On most days, I try to be. But it’s the days when I admit I need YOU to be love in me and through me that I really experience loving kindness, protecting, trusting, hoping, persevering and rejoicing in truth. That’s what I want to live in. To believe in. To live by.
That’s the love I want to experience fully and give fully.
That’s the love I want Lifa to be saturated with. And for his father to be washed clean with. And to proclaim and speak over every orphan I kiss in Mbonisweni today.
Take all the “me” parts out and replace it with love. Your love. 
Love never fails.
You said it. Your words. Your promises. I’m holding onto that.
 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
Show us more. Today. 
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13)
You wrote the definition. You are the existence of it. You know love. You are love. I’m left confused and dumbstruck… repeatedly reminded and devastated that nothing on earth is a promise.
But love never fails. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Even if it’s not in the ways I want to see it. Not how I would have written the story. I don’t want to be a clanging cymbal.
It’s worth it… You’re worth it… to live for and by Your love. Nothing on this earth is a promise. But everything You say is.

You work for the good of those who love you. (Romans 8:28)

It was unbearably painful to adopt me, but You said it was worth it. Even on the days when I cling to earth rules instead of Your Truths.

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. (Psalm 63:8)

Today, people around the world are joining in 3 days of fasting for a movement of love, family restoration and reconciliation. We are clinging to the promise and feasting on the Truth: We’ve been given the full inheritance of love that far surpasses broken promises on earth.
Uphold us, Lord. Work for the good of those who love you. Our souls cling to you.

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. (Exodus 14:14)



For more information about the 3 day fast, email me at kacychaffin@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying "Wisdom" for you and "Understanding" for Lifa's father.

    Love you. Got to share part of your story today.

    ReplyDelete