Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Family Surprise! Part V

This family and this fire hit me hard. They are my family. My people.

I have more family and more people in the States. A Home in the Body of Christ. And they know my African family too. They’ve walked though this with me, seen pictures and sent gifts. I asked for prayers because this was more than I knew how to handle.

Prayers were flying around the world, and peace was settling in amongst what was burnt and broken.

Almost instantly, I received a $200US donation from someone I had never even met. Family members responding to faces they’d never seen. This was going to make for one awesome surprise!

I got Zodwa in on the surprise with me and asked her to have the boys ready for a shopping spree. By the time we pulled up, the whole family was waiting outside by the fence. We loaded up a bakkie and were off to town! The boys still had no idea – Zodwa told them I was taking them for a pizza treat.

We arrived at the mall and stopped at an ATM to pull out the cash and have a pow-wow. I got one twin on each side and explained what we were really there for, with Lennon’s help translating.

“You boys are my family. Everyone I know in America knows that too, and they love you and pray for you often. I was so sad when I heard about your house that I asked my friends and family in America to pray for you. And they did. God loves you boys so much. He loves you SO much He started speaking to people’s hearts on the other side of the world about you. He even spoke to someone who I’ve never met and you’ve never met. And the people He spoke to LISTENED to Him. They sent a donation for you. Because God wants you to know He loves you, He’s providing for you from people who know how to listen to Him. We get to go shopping today! Each of you can spend R400 and buy any kind of clothes you want! And later we’ll get some things for your mom too!”

Eyes lighting up. Smiles so big their ears might pop off. Looking directly at me, in English, they each said, “Thank you, sister.”

Let the shopping begin! There were so many colors, sizes and styles to choose from! Our arms were loaded up. And I grimaced a little in remembering that, when you lose it all and are told you can buy anything you want, you want to buy stuff kids shouldn’t worry about, like underwear. But they got colorful underwear! And they loved it.


We had a fashion show right there in the store and they brought out their best poses. We snuck in watches at the last minute in line – the only thing they actually asked for. And we even did a little happy dance as we left the store with two bags stuffed with new treasures and tangible proof of a God who provides everything we need from head to toe.
  

Then it was time to eat! We sat down at Milky Lane – the equivalent to a Dairy Queen – in the food court, and they ordered by pointing to pictures they liked. Zodwa held my hand and told me she could never say thank you enough. The boys looked like they felt lighter than air. Bongani grabbed my arm, kissed it, and said, “Thank you Sister.” I melted.

Lennon showed Samgelo how to use a knife and fork. They loved dinner – savory waffles – the closest thing to pizza we could find. Then, of course, it was ice cream time! Later I found out this was 21 year-old Zodwa’s and the boys’ first time to sit down at a restaurant.

The mall was closing down and the hallways were empty. We were still waiting on one more person after we finished dinner, so we took advantage of high spirits and an open range. I twirled around the passages with baby Fiona and, while it was just the two of us, prayed aloud over her family. I prayed that through God’s crazy and powerful love, they would experience Him fully. And that this family would be a catalyst in their community, loving others the way He loves them and the way they love me in a contagious kind of way and that the orphan crisis would end in Mbonisweni. Then, Bongani and I held hands and skipped and giggled down the passage until Samgelo caught up and said, “Kacy… gym. Exercise!” So we took off running. Giggling.

Thank you, Lord, for joy that surpasses and even springs forth from tragedy. You win every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment