Thursday, October 7, 2010

Superhero Capes and Dinner Dates


I love words. (I know, I know… you probably picked up on that already through my lengthy blogs.)

God speaks to me through words. He often speaks through me with words. I am continuously amazed by the power of our words with each other and the ways words create our reality. And by the authority of His Word in speaking directly to our soul. Mmhmm.

I came to Africa in response to His words to me:
HOME.
ORPHAN.

I thought maybe I’d find some kind of direction for my life with these words – something fabulous and very Mother Theresa-esque, of course.

But that God of ours… whew… He got me. Good.

When I got to Africa, with my superhero cape on nonetheless, He spoke. He said I was the one acting like an orphan. And I needed to get a grip. (Those may not have been His exact words. But they definitely came in a booming, superhero cape-obliterating voice.) Shoot.

He told me I was not living like His daughter. I wasn’t living like I was part of the family of Christ, an heiress, and a sister of the One who died for me. He told me the price had already been paid.

There was already a chair for me at the dinner table whether I sat down or not. He asked me why I thought I could bring Home to orphans if I wasn’t living at Home, sitting at the dinner table in the Kingdom of God myself.

He called me Beloved. He called me His. And he told me He wanted me to come sit with Him. 

“He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will…” Ephesians 1:5

I got awkward. Uncomfortable. I stumbled. I stammered. I was supposed to be “saving” orphans. But instead I came to Africa to find out I needed to live at Home. I didn’t know how to do it- which is His very favorite place to work from.

He’s changing everything.

My perspective is shifting and my lens is changing. I don’t think I’m getting my superhero cape back. But I don’t need it anymore. I can’t spend all my time leaping over tall buildings in a single bound… I belong at Home.

We all belong at Home. There is a place set for you at the dinner table. And for every orphan in Africa. We all belong in His family. “…predestined to be adopted…in accordance with his pleasure and will…” HIS idea. He already planned it. And, even while His flawless Son was suffering on the cross, HE considered you worth it. And every orphan in Africa.

I have a new word:
FAMILY.

I know the promise He won’t leave us as orphans. (John 14:18)

I understand my role in the orphan crisis differently. Families. I believe everyone needs to know they belong in the family of Christ. Predestined. His idea.

I believe that if we have strong families, we can end the orphan crisis. Africans can end the orphan crisis in Africa. If we have healthy homes and healthy families, we’ll be able to care for those who are already orphaned and will not continue creating orphans.

I feel like I’ve been given a privileged seat at the dinner table these past few months. I’ve had the joy and the honor to watch God do His thing through a family that means so much to me here. A family that loves me like their own. I want to share their story with you. Because I want you to do this with me. I want you to walk with me as I figure out how to fit here. I want you to be a part of an unfolding story of redemption, hope and healing love that God is putting together piece by piece and one family at a time.

I’ll be writing the story of this family from my vantage point over the next few weeks. Thank you for doing this with me and for being family to me in some way along this path.

2 comments:

  1. one word about your latest post: amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inspiring others (me) with you learning process!

    ReplyDelete