Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The BACC Youth - my Home Team

Sunday night I went to talk to an incredible group of students - the Bay Area Community Church Youth Group. I knew it was going to be special when I was greeted instantly with a hug from Richie and the love and support they extended to Taylor after she sang for them.

The students are talking about giving. I've spent some time praying lately - and there's probably a post to come - in understanding what it means to Give Thanks rather than just say thanks. Almost daily, as I prepare to leave for Africa, I've felt completely overwhelmed and absolutely consumed by love. You know, that kind of love that's so big the word "thank you" just doesn't do it justice.

So God is nudging at me to give thanks. Some sort of reciprocal act of service - a way to worship in action. This is only a thought in process... but the process was certainly churning when I was with the students. I think it's because their hearts were churning too. And they were so receptive to it.

We did a really fun activity together - Ashley, one of their leaders, broke them into two groups and gave them a stack of moving supplies: A box, a roll of tape and newspaper. She told them they had 5 minutes to create a home.

It was hilarious! And awesome. Our discussion afterward helped us to understand that we all understood the instructions and could at least come up with some of the basic components of home - shelter, space, comfort and protection - because we've experienced these things before in our own lives.

In a time of giving thanks, it's helpful to remember that we cannot give what we haven't received. Almost all of us have experienced home in the tangible, lay-your-head-to-rest sense of the word. It's always a wondeful gift to share your home - one I've particularly appreciated in moving into my cousins' home.

But some of us have also experienced Home in Christ. Believing in the love of a God SO big and SO deeply in love with you that He sent a perfect son to a broken earth to sacrifice himself so that you can be called righteous... so that you can be adopted into the perfect and eternal Kingdom of God. Now THAT is what we should really be giving this season.

Thank you, BACC Youth, for making me feel so welcome and taking on this trip as your own. I believe that you will rise up as leaders in our church - giving the body a lesson in giving out of the purity and passion of your hearts. I was definitely inspired by you and can't wait to see the difference you make for the Kingdom - one brick at a time!















No comments:

Post a Comment