Saturday, November 14, 2009

Goodbyes, see you laters and all the things in between...

A new season has begun - not the kind of season that comes packaged nicely with a title and traditions like the holiday season. This is a time for changes and transitions in which I can't see ahead to the end.

This week has been an absolute upheaval. I said goodbye to my neighbors and, with the help of some amazing family and friends, moved out of my apartment and in with my cousins, Carli, Brooks and Baby Ella. My belongings are scattered amongst several houses and a corner of a storage unit, where they will remain until post-African adventures back in the states.

I've also begun saying goodbye to the clients I work with as a Hurricane Ike Crisis Counselor. Since I've come back to Texas (just in time for Hurricane Ike), I've spent over a year investing in a community of incredible survivors and walking through recovery of others trying to figure out what "home" means when everything they know has been washed away. I've learned so much and have been thankful for every moment.

Saying goodbyes as a counselor is a lot different from most goodbyes. When I leave for Africa, I'll tell you, "See you on Skype!" "I can't wait to share with you when I get home." "See you in July when you come visit!" or just a plain ole "I love you and will see you when I return."

Saying goodbye to clients is a goodbye that doesn't come attached with an "I'll see you later." Most of us don't really know what to do with the thought of a permanent absence, so we just don't think about it. I've been amazed, however, in what I've learned from goodbye.

Goodbye gives us time to reflect on where we started and where we've come. Time to think about the ways we are impacted by others. Time to think about what we've learned together. Time to be thankful for one another and express it genuinely. Time to begin to accept life's inevitable changes with the grace and love that comes with them.

I'm thankful to have been influenced and have learned from so many people. And I'm thankful to take a moment now for reflection and to decide that, even as I prepare for the "see you laters", I will be more intentional in expressing love, gratitude and sharing experiences with people.

My prayers are for intimacy, authenticity and connection with family, friends and community as I prepare for a "goodbye for now".

2 comments:

  1. found you. trying to get connected. please respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a great time last night at Chabuca's.

    ReplyDelete